Ecstasy / E / MDMA
Individual drugs:MDMA, MDA, MDEA
Common Terms:E, Ecstasy, MDMA, X, Molly, M
- E is usually sold as a pressed pill. These pills come in various sizes and colours, usually stamped with different logos. "Pure MDMA" usually comes in a clear capsule.
- Almost always swallowed as a pill or capsule.
- 100-125mg (this varies widely when in pill form, and there maybe none present).
- Can be snorted, injected or hooped (placed up the ass).
For an excellent explanation of why E makes you feel the way it does, check out the slide show on the DanceSafe website.
- When swallowed the effects come on within 20 - 40 minutes.
- Initially little rushes of exhilaration until the peak high is felt 60 - 90 minutes after ingestion.
- Increases in heart rate, blood pressure, body temperature and pupil dilation.
- Suppression of appetite.
- A sense of energy and alertness similar to, but not as euphoric as, amphetamine (speed).
- A warm state of empathy and good feelings of self, and an understanding and acceptance of others.
- An MDMA "high" lasts 3-5 hours, although many pills produce effects lasting longer, as they contain other substances.
Overdose and other negative effects:
- In high doses, or when in a hot environment, ecstasy can lead to overheating.
- In high doses ecstasy can lead to seizures, strokes, heart attacks or difficulty breathing (even in experienced users).
- After-effects can include, or continued use can lead to, depression, agitation, anxiety, panic attacks and paranoia. Continued use can also lead to these symptoms.
- Jaw clenching and teeth grinding can wear down your teeth or create cuts inside your mouth.
- Temporary short term memory impairment (you forget what's going on or what conversations you are having).
- Difficulty obtaining or maintaining an erection.
Dangerous Drug Combinations:
- Mixing with other stimulants or depressants can increase your risk of negative effects.
- Avoid taking E if you are on anti-depressant medication, especially MAOIs.
- Be careful if you mix with Viagra®. If you do mix, take only ½ of each. If you get an erection that lasts more than 4 hours, go to a hospital emergency room.
HIV Medications & Ecstasy/MDMA
- All Protease Inhibitors (PIs), as well as Elvitegravir /Cobicistat/TDF/FTC (Stribild) increase the amount of E/MDMA in your system. This is important to consider, as MDMA puts stress on your heart.
- Idinavir (Crixivan) can increase chance of kidney stones due to dehydration.
- Iopinavir/Ritonavir (Kaltra/Norvir) increases E/MDMA levels 5-10 times. Please avoid taking MDMA if you are on these medications.
- Most MDMA is adultered with other substances, especially PMA/PMMA. It is recommended you test your MDMA to know what’s in it. You can order testing kits through TRIP.
Other Medications & Ecstasy/MDMA
Anti-depressants: can cause ‘serotonin syndrome’, with symptoms of agitation, sleeplessness, sweating, faster heart beat and muscle spasms. If this happens, seek medical help immediately. If you’re on anti-depressants get medical advice before taking E/MDMA or PMA/PMMA.