In creating a will or making amendments to an existing will to include ACT, you provide those we serve with future support through your estate plans. You may choose to leave a specific donation amount, or name ACT as a residual beneficiary of your estate. Please consider consulting legal counsel to ensure appropriate wording of your bequest gift. ACT welcomes the opportunity to work with you throughout your decision-making process.
There are many benefits of leaving a gift in your will and estate plans. This gift does not reduce your current assets, and enables you to make a larger gift than perhaps you can in your lifetime. Gifts in your will also have potential to significantly reduce the tax burden on your heirs and beneficiaries. Work with your financial advisor to review your options.
By making a donation of publicly listed securities traded on a recognized stock exchange (i.e. TSE, NYSE), you have the potential for increasing the benefit on your annual tax return while supporting ACT’s vital programs and services. A charitable tax receipt is issued by ACT for the value of shares based on the end-of-day trading price on the day it is received by ACT.
A minimal investment upfront, Life Insurance is another great way to support the future of ACT. Several options make this an effective strategy. If you have a paid up policy, you can donate it to ACT and possibly receive a larger income tax receipt to use today. Transfer ownership of a current policy to ACT while paying the premiums, you will get a tax receipt today for your remaining premium payments. You can also name ACT as beneficiary to an existing Life Insurance policy or purchase a new policy and name ACT, which will provide tax savings to your Estate, or to yourself today. Consult your trusted insurance broker to evaluate the policy that will work best for you based on your age and general health.
By naming ACT as a beneficiary of your RRSP or RRIF, your estate will receive a charitable tax receipt that will help offset taxes and reduce or eliminate probate fees. It allows you to donate to a cause near and dear, while protecting your assets left to your loved ones.
When you include a gift to ACT in your will you are leaving a legacy of respect and dignity for gay men and everyone living with HIV.
Being HIV positive used to be a death sentence. Thirty-five years ago, at a time when a group of volunteers banded together to form ACT, our community was terrified. Our friends, lovers and sons were dying and we didn’t know what to do about it. The world has changed a lot since then. Now people living with HIV can lead long, healthy, sexually satisfying and long lives. Together we have accomplished a lot.
However, our work is far from finished. In Toronto there are still more than 400 people per year who are diagnosed with HIV, while one in five gay men is already living and aging with HIV. I know it is difficult, but the stigma associated with HIV and being gay, bi, queer and trans is still a major problem in society. This stigma creates an environment where we need to combat major issues like mental health, substance use, bullying, and loneliness that put people at increased risk for HIV. The story has change. We can no longer talk HIV in isolation. We must take a more holistic approach and we can’t do it without you.
Because we have accomplished so much in the last 35 years we know that we can be just as optimistic about the future. By including a gift in your will to ACT, you can help to shape a future where:
- There will be no new HIV infections.
- Gay men receive holistic health care by professionals who understand their unique physical and mental health needs.
- Gay, bi, queer and trans men can break free and are no longer stigmatized.
A gift in your will can help create a world where:
- Openly transgender men and women can be gainfully employed without being subject sexual harassment EVERY SINGLE DAY.
- A man in his twenties enjoys a vibrant, healthy, drug free AND FUN sex life without contracting HIV, and if he does suicide isn’t his first thought.
- All gay men can be openly out to their doctor so that they get the healthcare they need.
- HIV positive people don’t isolate themselves, but have sex, get married, raise a family – LOVE EACH OTHER.
- Seniors living with HIV receive adequate care and treatment as they age.
- HIV positive men who have sex are not at risk of being jailed for assault
Won’t you please join us as we move toward this future for the gay, bi, queer men and all those living with HIV and include a gift in your Will to ACT?
In exchange for your commitment, these are our promises to you:
- We know your family comes first. We promise to treat the people you love with respect and dignity.
- We will change lives. No gift is too big or too small. Even a gift of 5% of your estate can make a real difference to people living with HIV.
- We will use your gift efficiently and effectively to fund services for people living with HIV and those at increased risk.
- We will respect your privacy and the decisions you make in your Will.
- We will cherish your legacy. And if you tell us about your intentions now, we will keep you up to date on our progress during your lifetime.
- You can change your mind and your will at anytime. We intend to earn and keep your support, however, there is no legal obligation to you.
We are deeply touched that you are considering a gift to ACT in your will.
When you are ready to talk, we are here. Sam Katz (he, his, him) is available to confidentially discuss your plans. Please don’t hesitate to contact him directly at:
ACT, 543 Yonge Street, 4th floor
Toronto, ON, M4Y 1Y5,
If you have chosen to include ACT in your Will, please let us know. We would love to thank you personally.
Your legacy can provide a sanctuary, a community and a hopeful future for gay men and everyone living with HIV. Thank you.